Tollywood has witnessed mixed results in first half of 2018. While stars like Ram Charan and Mahesh Babu enjoyed hits with their respective films, Pawan Kalyan and Allu Arjun tasted bitter results with their respective films Agnyaathavaasi and Naa Peru Surya. Balakrishna’s Jai Simha released for Pongal had ended as an average grosser. Here is the list of disasters in first half of 2018:
1. Agnyaathavaasi: Expectations were sky high on this Pawan Kalyan and Trivikram Srinivas combo and the film had done a pre-release theatrical business of Rs 125 Cr, whereas it recovered only Rs 58 Cr. Distributors incurred huge losses, however producer Radhakrishna compensated them.
2. Touch Chesi Chudu: This Vikram Sirikonda directorial has done an exceptional theatrical business of Rs 25.20 Cr. Nonetheless, the film that starred Raviteja botched to reach the expectations and had collected less than 10 Cr.
3. Inttelligent: Neither audience had any expectations on the film nor it surprised them post release as it was pretty ordinary one as predicted. The Sai Dharam Tej starrer and VV Vinayak directed film minted Rs 3.8 Cr, while theatrical rights were sold out for Rs 27 Cr. It is indeed the biggest disaster for SDT.
4. Chal Mohan Ranga: Even though the Nikhil starrer film had Pawan Kalyan and Trivikram Srinivas on board it couldn’t please any section of audience due to weak content. CMR pre-release business fetched 20 cr for producer, whereas it recovered 8.60 Cr share for full run.
5. Krishnarjuna Yuddham: Nani was minimum guaranteed hero. But, he disappointed completely with Krishnarjuna Yuddham and it was a big blow for buyers who invested big amount on the film made Rs 35 Cr pre-release business. The Merlapaka Gandhi directorial collected a worldwide closing share of 15.14 Cr.
6. Naa Peru Surya, Naa Illu India: Allu Arjun starrer created lots of buzz before its release. The film that marked directorial debut of popular writer Vakkantham Vamsi had done a remarkable pre-release business of 112 Cr. But, it recovered only 56 Cr. for full run.
7. Nela Ticket: Raviteja faced another disaster this year with Nela Ticket. Kalyan Krishna came up with a regular story and even screenplay was sluggish. While pre-release business was 22 Cr, closing business was around Rs 9.85 Cr.
8. Officer: Nagarjuna disappointed his fans totally. Ram Gopal Varma failed to recreate the magic of Shiva. The film ended as biggest disaster in the history of Telugu cinema by collecting less than Rs 1 Cr share.
Kalyan Ram’s MLA and Nikhil’s Kirrak Party were below average grosser and Mohan Babu’s Gayatri was an utter flop.