The descendants of the Nizam of Hyderabad on Wednesday returned to the High Court in London to challenge a court order related to over 35 million pounds lying in a UK bank account.In a judgment handed down at the Royal Courts of Justice in London last year, Justice Marcus Smith had ruled in favour of India and the titular eighth Nizam of Hyderabad and his brother, who had reached a confidential agreement in a decades-old legal dispute with Pakistan over funds belonging to the seventh Nizam of Hyderabad at the time of Partition in 1947.
However, other descendants of the Nizam, Najaf Ali Khan on behalf of 116 heirs of the late seventh Nizam, sought to challenge that ruling this week by accusing the administrator of the seventh Nizam's estate of "breach of trust".Mr Khan, appearing remotely from India, told the court that the funds were released improperly to India and the two princes - Prince MukarramJah and his younger brother MuffakhamJah - and also claimed "chronic financial hardship"."I determined the beneficial ownership of that money in my judgment in 2019... It is impossible to accept that he can be entitled to reopen the proceedings," said Judge Smith, dismissing Najaf Ali Khan’s attempt to reopen the case.
However, the judge will continue to hear arguments over Wednesday and Thursday over allegations of impropriety by the administrator of late seventh Nizam's estate.The administrator apparently holds around 400,000 pounds from the money left over following payments made to the state of India and the two princes based on their confidential agreement over the total funds.